Monday, April 02, 2012

I get a quantum comment

Following Saturday's Weekend Post Science article on "Quantum claptrap", I received an email.

It went like this:
"hey i am following you, i have just read this article on weekend post.

ok, my comment is that your using words like rubbish to discredit views you don't agree with is a bit intolerant. nothing in this world is absolutely certain including even our precious science. wisdom whispers: "when you feel most certain, you should doubt yourself more". pride leads leads to a rapid fall, lucifer can testify to that."
I feel absolutely no need to be tolerant of rubbish. The QXCI machine and almost everything you see in the media containing the word "quantum" is rubbish.

I'm not sure that I agree with "nothing in this world is absolutely certain". There are things I think we can agree that are convincing enough to be "certain". 2 + 2 = 4, for instance. Gravity exists. Evolution happens. X-rays exist. Precisely how how we explain these certain things might change but that doesn't affect the certainty that they exist.

The QXCI machine is a piece of worthless but expensive rubbish. Of that I'm certain.

No comments: